Skip to main content

Mediocre Ninja Kate



This week has been difficult at best. Even though I have been back to work for 5 weeks now, everyday someone asks me about the baby. I work at a pretty big hospital, but small enough where you quickly get to know many people. Yesterday I thought I was in the clear when I was leaving work, but one of the girls from another department saw me...despite my ninja like abilities these days, I am always found!

The enemy: "Hey Kate! When did you have the baby?"

Ninja: "January 4th" (for some reason, I thought that answer would be good enough, end of conversation, I was delusional!)

The enemy: "Congrats, what did you have? How is the baby doing?"

Ninja: "We had a little girl, Zoe....uh...well...unfortunately she passed away. " (ehh, here we go right!)

The enemy: awkward silence "Oh my God, I am so sorry, I didn't know. Well, maybe it's for the best."

Ninja: "Yeah, well, I am a ninja...do you want to rethink that comment?! I have ninja stars in my pocket!" Okay...I didn't say that...ha! It went more like..."Don't worry about it, you didn't know, it's okay."

As a grieving mother, I deal with my own grief daily in addition to comforting others around me that I make uncomfortable with my horrifically sad story. If I were truly a ninja, I would do a much better job avoiding the inevitable question.

After I got home from work, I cried all day. I worked on Zoe's scrapbook a bit ( I have a total 0f 5 pages completed) It looks perfect. I had an overall exhausting day. I was supposed to work that night, but I called off. I am not one for call off, but a mental health day was calling my name. Plus April due date prego girl was supposed to be at work, and we had a very strange encounter the week before. I wasn't ready for round 2. I can't remember if I posted about that or not...but the short story, I cried for the first time at work when I saw her last week. I thought I could go unnoticed by preggo, but she noticed! A while later she said "I am sure I am the last person you want to work beside tonight. I know our babies were only a few days apart." She just wouldn't drop it! SO I kindly told her I didn't want to talk about it. Ehh...tears at work. I hate crying at work. I swear one of these days my boss is going to call me in the office and tell me I am unstable and unfit to work..."you are the weakest link, goodbye!"

Speaking of her scrapbook...I went to my favorite scrapbook place the other day to print my pictures of Zoe and her service. (HUGE STEP! I was well out of baby step range here people!) The lady there asked me about the baby! What?? I don't even know your name? This means a couple of things....

1. I go to this place more often than I thought
2. I would never want to add up all of the money I have spent over the last few years from there! Yikes!

Anyway...yet another awkward conversation between ninja and enemy.

Moral of the story: I am a terrible wanna be ninja!!

Comments

  1. Okay, so this made me smile--I feel the underlying sadness and wish I could take it away from you, but I love the notion of you as a secret undercover ninja! I'd like some ninja stars in my pocket now and then. I'm so sorry you have to deal with work right now, and with the questions you don't want to be asked. Thinking about you~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Beta

So...my level today was 108!!! The nurse said that was a perfect, healthy number...not too high, not too low. Chances are good we have one little charm in there. Which is PERFECT. We won't know for sure until our u/s...but I have been thinking it's one...and a boy. I feel really connected to a little boy, and awhile ago, Zoe came to me in a dream and said we were going to get pregnant with one baby, a little boy, and things were going to be fine. :-) Sweet little baby of mine...comforting her momma even in spirit. It's strange to be pregnant right now...It doesn't feel real quite yet. It does, but it doesn't. I feel really secure about this pregnancy...almost at peace. I feel deep in my heart we are going to bring home a living baby. It's will be strange to be a mother of 2, one in spirit and one here on Earth. I love Zoelle so deeply, and miss her with each breath I take. I wish she was here to share in the joy of this new life. At the same time, the new life

2nd Beta!

Well, my 2nd beta on Wednesday was 308! Super excited! Who knows...there might just be two lucky charms in there. Everyone seems to think we are having twins...even my very fabulous IVF nurse. Only time will tell. One...two...whatever happens, I am just so excited to be pregnant. We have our first u/s on March 22nd where we will see how many we have and hear the little heart beat/s. Yay!! As of right now I have been feeling wonderful! I am having a bit of nausea here and there, but not too bad. I didn't get sick one time when I was pregnant with Zoe, so we will see. For now, just the normal early pregnancy symptoms and I LOVE IT! I can hardly wait to meet this little bean in 35-36 weeks from now! :-) So the count down begins...17 more days until our first u/s. Unlike my pregnancy test...I can't cheat and head to the office early for this one. What is a girl to do...ha!

Dear Uterus

Dear Uterus, In less then two weeks our second pregnancy begins. Please keep our little embryo's safe and nestled tightly in your womb. I promise to provide you with proper nutrients, vitamins and water. Please stay relaxed and happy! A happy uterus makes for a happy mother. :-) I would greatly appreciate you behaving for at least 37 weeks. Dear uterus, I would like you to recite this mantra over and over..."I am like velcro! I am like velcro!" We can do this! Please be gentle with our little peanuts...this means the world to us. Thanks Uterus! Love, Your body!