Skip to main content

Survival

I read a thought provoking post this morning written by Kayla regarding a book called Dear Parents- Letters to Beavered Parents from Beavered Parents. Here is a short excerpt from the book; (thanks for the great book suggestion!)

"I weary of hearing how brave I am. I weary of people saying 'I don't think I could go through what you've been through.' I'm no stronger nor weaker than they. We all do what we have to do when we don't have any choice. Sure, I act normal. Sure, I smile and crack a joke. That's not brave.......that's survival. They don't see me at night."-Sandy

How many times have I heard the words "you are so strong...I could never go through what you have gone through." I understand these words come from a "good" place and I truly believe most people do mean well. However, I am human and although I look like I am "doing so well" my pain is real. In all reality, what choice do we as beavered parents truly have? It's simple really...our choices are to live or...well...die. I know there have been times when I've truly felt it would be easier to be dead, but I would never act on that thought. Survival mode kicks in and you do what you must do to live. Does that make me brave? Hardly. I have no choice. There comes a point when you accept that life is difficult and make the best of a terrible situation. The death of a child is unexplainable to the outside world. Months pass and people assume we are better...cured from this painful disease called grief. The truth is...people are more comfortable thinking you are "over it or done grieving."

This reminds me of a shirt I saw at the march of dimes...the back said "You don't know how strong you are until strong is your only choice." So very true.

Strong is my only choice...survival is all I have.

Comments

  1. Your words hit me hard. I hope I haven't been saying the wrong thing to the women I read who have lost their babies. I do know that there is no time table and I would never tell someone or think that it is time to get over it. The loss of a child is something that you will never get over or never stop grieving about. I love reading Erika over at: http://funfinns.blogspot.com/2009/07/silent-reflux-baby.html She has a new baby but lost twins a year ago. Having here new little Blythe gives her so much pleasure but the loss of her twins is ever present in her heart and her daily life. I will certainly be more careful of the words I choose when I am commenting. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree. I've been told how strong I am. And every time I hear something like that I think about how wrong that is and am reminded that nobody can see how I am on the inside...anything but strong. It is all about survival.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2nd Beta!

Well, my 2nd beta on Wednesday was 308! Super excited! Who knows...there might just be two lucky charms in there. Everyone seems to think we are having twins...even my very fabulous IVF nurse. Only time will tell. One...two...whatever happens, I am just so excited to be pregnant. We have our first u/s on March 22nd where we will see how many we have and hear the little heart beat/s. Yay!! As of right now I have been feeling wonderful! I am having a bit of nausea here and there, but not too bad. I didn't get sick one time when I was pregnant with Zoe, so we will see. For now, just the normal early pregnancy symptoms and I LOVE IT! I can hardly wait to meet this little bean in 35-36 weeks from now! :-) So the count down begins...17 more days until our first u/s. Unlike my pregnancy test...I can't cheat and head to the office early for this one. What is a girl to do...ha!

My Beta

So...my level today was 108!!! The nurse said that was a perfect, healthy number...not too high, not too low. Chances are good we have one little charm in there. Which is PERFECT. We won't know for sure until our u/s...but I have been thinking it's one...and a boy. I feel really connected to a little boy, and awhile ago, Zoe came to me in a dream and said we were going to get pregnant with one baby, a little boy, and things were going to be fine. :-) Sweet little baby of mine...comforting her momma even in spirit. It's strange to be pregnant right now...It doesn't feel real quite yet. It does, but it doesn't. I feel really secure about this pregnancy...almost at peace. I feel deep in my heart we are going to bring home a living baby. It's will be strange to be a mother of 2, one in spirit and one here on Earth. I love Zoelle so deeply, and miss her with each breath I take. I wish she was here to share in the joy of this new life. At the same time, the new life

Dear Uterus

Dear Uterus, In less then two weeks our second pregnancy begins. Please keep our little embryo's safe and nestled tightly in your womb. I promise to provide you with proper nutrients, vitamins and water. Please stay relaxed and happy! A happy uterus makes for a happy mother. :-) I would greatly appreciate you behaving for at least 37 weeks. Dear uterus, I would like you to recite this mantra over and over..."I am like velcro! I am like velcro!" We can do this! Please be gentle with our little peanuts...this means the world to us. Thanks Uterus! Love, Your body!