Skip to main content

Frustrated!!!

Well, I had my followup visit with the doc on Wednesday. It was awful!! First of all...going to a high risk office can be a bit insane at times. They are scanning the baby and checking my cervix every 2 weeks. Most of the time, all it does is make me a paranoid FREAK! So here are the highlights;

I will start with the good news:

1. Amniotic fluid levels are perfect. My AFI (amniotic fluid index) was 12, totally normal. It was 11 in the hospital...so it didn't go down! yay!

2. My cervix is still 3.1 which is where it has been for weeks! Yay!!

3. Baby is growing fantastically!! Yay!!

Onto the frustrating parts of the visit:

1. The doc I saw yesterday...well, lets just say I am not a fan of her. She has pushed and pushed genetic testing on us as if something is wrong! Every time I walk into that damned office they ask me about going to see a genetic counselor and having an amnio done. Why? The baby is showing NO signs on chromosomal abnormalities and further...even if she was we would do NOTHING. I keep telling them to freakin drop it. WE ARE NOT INTERESTED!

2. She said that the measurements for the renal pelvis (a portion of the kidneys) is mildly elevated (okay...what the hell does that mean)? Well this is a "soft marker" for downs syndrome....but there are many, many, many others that she is not positive for (so of course, idiot doc had to mention the amnio and genetic testing again which made it the 3rd time for the visit!). She said 50% of the cases resolve by birth and that it is a fairly common finding on u/s. If it doesn't resolve we may need to give the baby antibiotics at birth and WORST case scenario (very rare chance) she may need renal stents. Now, I did a bunch of research on this and found that many doctors don't consider anything under 5mm to be considered dilated. Hers were 3.8 on the right and 4.7 on the left kidney. So of course I am FREAKING OUT!!!! Why, I ask, is her fluid totally normal then? Her kidneys must be functioning properly, right? Ehhh!! The doctor told me that at the moment it is mild, but something to keep our eye on (of course, because they can't just leave well enough alone!)

3. Another finding I have been freaking out about is the placement of her cord onto the placenta. I guess it is attached low on the placenta and could be a problem. Basically this could cause issues with her growth if the cord is not allowing her to get proper nutrition. WTF!!! The doctor said this could be the way she was laying and hard to see...but once again they just want to monitor it closely.

My thoughts:

Okay...for me, this has been a terrible week. I have been in the hospital, then followed up by an appointment that I have been unable to shake. I have basically been crying all week long...to the point where I think I need to go talk to my counselor. Furthermore, at my next appointment, I am going to discuss going back to my midwife at my OB office. Once I am out of the preterm labor stage of this pregnancy...do I really need to be seen by Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM)? I am miserable right now! I am unhappy with this doctor, I am terribly worried about the baby and all I do when I am there is fight for what I believe. For me that means NOT exposing the baby to possible dangers such as amniocentesis if not 100% necessary. To top it off...this is upcoming week is the same gestational weeks that my water ruptured with Zoe. I was exactly 22 weeks. I am FREAKING OUT people!!!

Comments

  1. I am so sorry you have to leave the dr. office so frustrated. My hubs and I went through the same thing with them telling us we had a "soft marker" for down syndrom. We almost feel like they know "too much" or try to see "too much" with ultrasounds. I mean honestly, with the baby moving around in my belly so much, how can they really see each and every detail they need to? Sometimes I think medicine is a great tool, sometimes I think it's gone overboard and they just need to stop pushing all these tests on us. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((((HUGS))))))) I hope you have some more peaceful weeks ahead Kate. I know it has to be crazy difficult!!!! Thinking of you. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Kate! My thoughts, prayers and blessings are with you, Tim, Zoelle and Baby Mirth as you hit the next milestones. Just know that you are loved by many!!!

    A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kate, I hope that your visits become easier but it sounds like your doctor is tunnel visioned at the moment. I can only think that maybe they are just as scared with you and as doctors they don't know how to act other than trust medicine.

    Praying for you and he little one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Beta

So...my level today was 108!!! The nurse said that was a perfect, healthy number...not too high, not too low. Chances are good we have one little charm in there. Which is PERFECT. We won't know for sure until our u/s...but I have been thinking it's one...and a boy. I feel really connected to a little boy, and awhile ago, Zoe came to me in a dream and said we were going to get pregnant with one baby, a little boy, and things were going to be fine. :-) Sweet little baby of mine...comforting her momma even in spirit. It's strange to be pregnant right now...It doesn't feel real quite yet. It does, but it doesn't. I feel really secure about this pregnancy...almost at peace. I feel deep in my heart we are going to bring home a living baby. It's will be strange to be a mother of 2, one in spirit and one here on Earth. I love Zoelle so deeply, and miss her with each breath I take. I wish she was here to share in the joy of this new life. At the same time, the new life

2nd Beta!

Well, my 2nd beta on Wednesday was 308! Super excited! Who knows...there might just be two lucky charms in there. Everyone seems to think we are having twins...even my very fabulous IVF nurse. Only time will tell. One...two...whatever happens, I am just so excited to be pregnant. We have our first u/s on March 22nd where we will see how many we have and hear the little heart beat/s. Yay!! As of right now I have been feeling wonderful! I am having a bit of nausea here and there, but not too bad. I didn't get sick one time when I was pregnant with Zoe, so we will see. For now, just the normal early pregnancy symptoms and I LOVE IT! I can hardly wait to meet this little bean in 35-36 weeks from now! :-) So the count down begins...17 more days until our first u/s. Unlike my pregnancy test...I can't cheat and head to the office early for this one. What is a girl to do...ha!

Dear Uterus

Dear Uterus, In less then two weeks our second pregnancy begins. Please keep our little embryo's safe and nestled tightly in your womb. I promise to provide you with proper nutrients, vitamins and water. Please stay relaxed and happy! A happy uterus makes for a happy mother. :-) I would greatly appreciate you behaving for at least 37 weeks. Dear uterus, I would like you to recite this mantra over and over..."I am like velcro! I am like velcro!" We can do this! Please be gentle with our little peanuts...this means the world to us. Thanks Uterus! Love, Your body!