Skip to main content

The Bright side...is NOT the right side!

This morning I was watching The Daily Show and a very interesting guest was on last night. Barbara Ehrenreich, a seven year cancer survivor recently published the book Bright Sided; How the relentless promotion of positive thinking has undermined America. Ehrenreich notes that during time receiving chemo and radiation, people would spoon feed her positive mantras. "Be positive, it's okay, BE POSITIVE." It got me thinking...do people say these things becuase they don't know what to say, or do people simply not want to deal with others problems? If we ignore the pain others endure, then we don't have to deal with it. Right? Anyone who has gone through a tragic event quickly learns people have no idea what to say. And although I think people mean well, it is much easier to ignore the pain and heartache others suffer by candy coating the situation with cliche statements like "It will all work out, don't lose hope, be positive, it's all in Gods plan or you will come out a stronger person." (the list could go on and on) After all, what people need and want is validation and a listening ear. "I am sorry you are dealing with _____, please let me know if I can help you." Or "It's okay to be upset, frustrated or angry, I am always here for you if you need someone to talk to."



I wish I knew why good people had to suffer such heartaches, whether it be cancer, the loss of a spouse or child. I don't understand. My journey has not always been easy, and there are many times I wonder "what the hell?" but it is still my journey. No one can walk in my shoes, only me. No one can ease my pain, only time. Am I angry, of course. In the last 4 years I was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor, had a crainiotomy, diagnosed with PCOS (which is how they found my brain tumor, long stroy don't want to go there), went through infertility treatments, suffered the death of our daughter and now dealing with almost a 6 month battle of infertility again. Really? The fact is I AM angry, pissed, bitter and jealous. I wish it was easy for me to get pregnant. Hell, I don't even really care about the brain tumor...I would do it 1000 times over if it would be Zoe back, but it won't.

sigh...

I don't believe in optimism. As for hope...hope is for those who don't need it and can toss it around like a lone sock without a match. I am in so much pain these days. Sadly, I feel guilty for feeling so completely depressed. I have so many people who love me, yet here I am sad and broken. I hope that one day my tears are tears of happiness and I take breathe...a deep, cleansing breath of life. Until then, my only choice is to wake up and push through this darkness and pray there is a light... somewhere.

Comments

  1. I hear you .... The moment my mind - brain or whatever it is inside me has space, Akul creeps in. I feel the warmth of his tiny body held close to mine and I crave for him. It is so weird - this hunger to hold him close and feel him breathe and move - I do not know how to handle it myself. I am so sorry for your loss Kate. I am so sorry your beautiful Zoe is not with you and that you are so sad and yearning and longing for your baby - I wish I had some hope or happiness to give you, but I am as broken and sad as you are. Hugssssss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you are sad and broken. It takes time and even then, even if you begin to feel better you will always grieve. I pray for your comfort and for those also in your shoes. It is the worse thing that can happen and I feel so badly for your sorrow. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more, Kate. I don't want to hear any of those things from people. You know that I have blocked emails from certain people for that very reason. You are so right. I'm so glad we have each other and all the other amazing bloggers to lean on. As I think we are the only ones who get it. I'm missing Zoe with you. I'm praying for light for you, for all of us. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs to you my sweet friend. I think about you each day. Know I'm always here for you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree completely. Usually when people try to spoon-feed me positive crap when the death of my son comes up I say, "you think so?" and leave it at that. Those "helpful" words only make the wounds hurt worse. Hugs to you. I'm so sorry that you are feeling this way. I know how dark life is for you right now, and all I can do is wish and hope that you get to experience happiness again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Beta

So...my level today was 108!!! The nurse said that was a perfect, healthy number...not too high, not too low. Chances are good we have one little charm in there. Which is PERFECT. We won't know for sure until our u/s...but I have been thinking it's one...and a boy. I feel really connected to a little boy, and awhile ago, Zoe came to me in a dream and said we were going to get pregnant with one baby, a little boy, and things were going to be fine. :-) Sweet little baby of mine...comforting her momma even in spirit. It's strange to be pregnant right now...It doesn't feel real quite yet. It does, but it doesn't. I feel really secure about this pregnancy...almost at peace. I feel deep in my heart we are going to bring home a living baby. It's will be strange to be a mother of 2, one in spirit and one here on Earth. I love Zoelle so deeply, and miss her with each breath I take. I wish she was here to share in the joy of this new life. At the same time, the new life

2nd Beta!

Well, my 2nd beta on Wednesday was 308! Super excited! Who knows...there might just be two lucky charms in there. Everyone seems to think we are having twins...even my very fabulous IVF nurse. Only time will tell. One...two...whatever happens, I am just so excited to be pregnant. We have our first u/s on March 22nd where we will see how many we have and hear the little heart beat/s. Yay!! As of right now I have been feeling wonderful! I am having a bit of nausea here and there, but not too bad. I didn't get sick one time when I was pregnant with Zoe, so we will see. For now, just the normal early pregnancy symptoms and I LOVE IT! I can hardly wait to meet this little bean in 35-36 weeks from now! :-) So the count down begins...17 more days until our first u/s. Unlike my pregnancy test...I can't cheat and head to the office early for this one. What is a girl to do...ha!

Dear Uterus

Dear Uterus, In less then two weeks our second pregnancy begins. Please keep our little embryo's safe and nestled tightly in your womb. I promise to provide you with proper nutrients, vitamins and water. Please stay relaxed and happy! A happy uterus makes for a happy mother. :-) I would greatly appreciate you behaving for at least 37 weeks. Dear uterus, I would like you to recite this mantra over and over..."I am like velcro! I am like velcro!" We can do this! Please be gentle with our little peanuts...this means the world to us. Thanks Uterus! Love, Your body!